Monday, May 14, 2012

The Great Purge of 2012

I am sitting here wondering how our house ever got to the point that this HUGE purge was necessary. I'd like to blame it on the fact that baby and kid stuff takes up a bunch of space...and while it does, we still had/have WAY too much random stuff! I think the hubs and I have both been so anxious about the state of our garage and other parts of the house over the past year but really we just haven't had the time to go through it and fix the problem. Well, finally this weekend, I went crazy and purged a TON! I finally went through my closet and got rid of clothes that were seriously at least 6-7 years old. I have no idea why I thought anything would or could possibly come back to style. I'm not sure why I was hanging onto certain items, but in all reality, it was "out of sight, out of mind," so I ignored it. We have been discussing simplifying our lives for awhile now, mainly just getting rid of unnecessary stuff and finally I took the plunge. When my hubs got home on Thursday night, I could see the stress in his eyes when he walked into in our living room, dining room, office, etc because I had stuff thrown everywhere! I assured him it would all be gone soon and basically I slaved away all day Saturday and a lot of Sunday afternoon and night to get rid of unneeded stuff!

The hubs took a carload of stuff to the Goodwill and my car is huge so it was a very large load! I am pretty positive I may have another trip coming up in the next couple days after I finish the rest of the house!


It is really amazing how many random items we had just stuffed into cabinets/closets and piled in the garage just because we have the space to do so! Here is an example of how our coat closet looked before I got rid of pretty much everything in there...honestly awful (and uber embarrassing to post), right?? Makes me sick just looking at it. I think it was easy to let this get to this stage of awful because I could just throw anything there and shut the door and not see it! This will not happen again!


I also listed a bunch of baby items on Craigslist, so we shall see if I sell anything. I really don't have great luck with Craigslist whenever I use it but hopefully I do this time! This stuff piles up quickly when you aren't using it anyone. Even though I am sad to see these items go, as it is the end of the baby era for us, I am hoping to move these items out as quickly as possible because they are taking up space! 


I am still working on all the cabinets in the house and hope to have them all cleaned out and organized by Wednesday night since trash pick-up is Thursday mornings. I have already called and paid extra for all the bags/boxes that won't fit in our trashcans or recycling bin. Again, I am truly amazed that we had that much garbage and junk hanging around! While I don't feel 100% better about the state of our house, I am on a serious roll and am hoping I can keep going and get the rest hammered out before this weekend rolls around and finally be in a state of organizational peace! Wish me luck! 

xoxo,
Ashley

Ps I hope everyone had a fabulous Mother's Day! I had a really nice day and was able to sneak away from my purge chaos for a couple hours to have lunch with my sweet family at a new favorite restaurant of mine, The Naked Cafe. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment